Systems Engineering and Computer Technologies
- Implement, manage, and understand the strategic relevance of organizational information systems, selecting, installing, configuring, and connecting the main types of computer systems that support them
- Develop organizational change projects aimed at improving the operations of the organizations, using the potential of computer technologies
- Install and administer operating systems and computer networks
- Select and integrate equipment related to communication technologies
- Design and develop isolated, multimedia, web, and mobile devices applications, using different programming paradigms and databases
- Develop, install, and manage intelligent systems Select the latest computer technologies for the development of (intelligent) systems
- Work as a team, learn autonomously, adapt to new situations, have initiative, entrepreneurial spirit, and motivation for quality
One of the focuses of the DSECT course is to integrate students in a business environment since their second semester, following the most recent national and international trends (e.g., courses tailored to, or integration of external entities, in the preparation and teaching of parts of the cycles of studies). Thus, the DSECT has 8 optative CU (63 ECTS, which includes the option of Internship or Project), allowing the autonomous design of individual curricula by the students, around the mandatory CU. Of the 8 CU, 4 can be made in "any scientific field" which will allow the student to define a minor, more or less pronounced, within their areas of interest (e.g., electronics, data science, multimedia, business sciences, GIS, marketing, big data, etc.).
The DSECT is also designed to receive graduated students from Higher Professional Technical Courses (HPTC), with equivalence plans for those. Regarding the HPTC of the UAlg, namely the ones from the Instituto Superior de Engenharia, there is a formal equivalence plan that will allow up to 1 year of equivalences.
The DSECT aims to prepare engineers able to develop their activity in multiple economic sectors. Being informatics an essential support to modern society, the skills of the computer engineers are essential in all companies and organizations related to the development of services, systems, and products, in particular those operating in the area of information technologies, namely the ones who:
- Develop and design software
- Program computer applications
- Manage computer systems
- Install, configure, and maintain computer networks
- Provide IT systems consulting and auditing services
- Require information system operators
- Do innovation, research, development, and entrepreneurship
- Provide services and products in intelligent systems, business management, energy, telecommunications, content, entertainment, engineering in general etc.