Special Educational Needs (NEE)
“Everyone has the right to education with a guarantee of the right to equal access opportunities and academic success”,
Article 74 of the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic of 2 April 1976.
According to the principles of an Inclusive School, the University of Algarve has implemented a set of specific conditions based on the recognition of the right to difference, while maintaining the high parameters and quality of the teaching and learning process.
The Student Support Office for students with NEE (GAENEE) is composed of a supervisory professor, a professor from each of the organic units and a representative of the Social Action Services of the University of Algarve.
- Welcome students with NEE;
- Analyse students' requirements, assess their specific needs and prepare a Technical-Pedagogical report in order to assign the student NEE status;
- Work alongside teachers and management bodies of the organic units to mitigate disadvantages and respond to their needs;
- Monitor students with NEE;
- Identify technical aids/supports;
- Promote awareness/ run training sessions within the educational community;
- Seek to eliminate structural barriers;
- Ensure the application and compliance with the Students with NEE Statute at UAlg.
The aim is:
- That all students have an equal and quality education;
- That all students have access to an education that respects their needs and characteristics;
- To facilitate students' transition to active life, so that they are included in society, to which they rightfully belong, with the greatest autonomy and independence.
What are special educational needs (NEE)?
Students with Special Educational Needs (NEE) are considered to be those who, because they have certain specific conditions, may need a set of particular educational resources, during all or part of their school career, in order to facilitate their academic, personal and academic and social development. It should be noted that these conditions can be permanent or temporary.
In this sense, it is necessary these students are granted equal rights so that they can participate in all spheres of academic life successfully.
In order to promote their inclusion, it is important to adopt appropriate and anti-discriminatory measures and solutions. As such, a set of measures have been defined to be applied to students with NEE to guarantee their access and the continuation of studies at the University of Algarve (see Support Regulation for Students with Special Educational Needs).
The application of these measures should be considered in accordance with the principle that the education of people with NEE should take place in the least restrictive environment possible, without, however, giving up the high parameters and quality of the teaching and learning process.
To all students with SEN who attend the University of Algarve, regardless of the study cycle in which they enroll.
At the University of Algarve students with SEN are considered:
- Students who have physical or sensory disabilities (Hearing Impairment; Visual Impairment; Motor Impairment, others), who place them in disadvantaged circumstances with regard to academic performance;
- Students with Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity or other difficulties associated with understanding the written material;
- Students with permanent diseases (Asthma, Epilepsy, others ...) or long term, associated with periodic and frequent treatments or aggressive treatments (radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or similar), that put them, in terms of academic performance in an unfavorable situation;
- Students who present with chronic mental illness (Autism, Asperger's, Depression, Bipolarity, or others), which strongly compromises adaptation and is limiting with regard to the academic learning process.
- Hearing deficiency
- Motor Disability
- Visual impairment
- Cerebral Palsy
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Psychological and Psychiatric Disorders
- Specific learning disorders
Application for Student Status with SEN
The status of Student with SEN must be requested at the time of registration, or at another time, if the particular needs are only identified later or result from events subsequent to the beginning of the school year.
The request for the attribution of status must be made by the student to the Rector of UAlg, by filling out the application available here or available in Academic Services, accompanied by updated proof (s) report, issued by specialists, and must also the student specifies what support he / she needs in terms of class attendance and assessment.
GAENEE verifies and analyzes the conformity of the elements sent in accordance with the stipulations in the Regulations, then conducting a welcoming interview to the student. The main objective of the interview is to carefully analyze the special educational needs of the student in order to prepare a Technical Pedagogical Report. In this report, the relevant information is presented, namely, its condition and needs, and whether or not the need for attributing Student Status with SEN is confirmed. If this need is confirmed, measures considered appropriate to the specific needs of the student are proposed.
Appraisal of the Report by the Rectory
The Pedagogical Technical Report is submitted for appreciation to the Rector, who approves or not the attribution of the Statute and approves the proposal of the support measures recommended by GAENEE.
Communication of Decision
The decision, ratified by the Rector, is communicated to the student, the member of the GAENEE responsible for the Organic Unit / Department and the Director of the Organic Unit / Department. It is also communicated to the student, if the problem and his SEN are permanent, that he may not need to apply again for the attribution of the Statute, although he must prove his condition annually. Otherwise, you must make a new application annually and prove your condition.
After meeting with the student, the GAENEE teacher must communicate to the Course Director and teachers who teach in the course, the attribution of the Student Status with SEN and inform about which support measures are approved.
The GAENEE professor assigned to the Organic Unit / Department meets regularly with the student in order to provide individualized support, monitor his academic path and evaluate the feasibility and effectiveness of the proposed measures. These measures can be revised at any time, if they are considered unsuitable for the student's academic success. The monitoring of students is debated and analyzed in the regular meetings that the members of GAENEE hold, with the objective of identifying difficulties and seeking answers to improve the monitoring strategies and procedures.
Coordinator: Prof.ª Maria Helena Martins
Gabinete 1.39 B
Higher School of Management, Hospitality and Tourism
Prof. Maria da Fé Brás
Higher School of Health Sciences
Prof. Maria do Céu Henriques Mendes Pereira Neves
Higher Institute of Engineering
Prof. Maria da Conceição Ribeiro
Faculty of Human and Social Sciences
Prof. Ana Alexandra Seabra de Carvalho
Faculty of Sciences and Technology
Prof. Maria Dulce Antunes
Faculty of Economics
Prof. Ana Rita Domingues Teixeira
Office 2.66, ed. 8
Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Prof. Isabel Palmeirim
Social Action Services
Dr. Maria da Graça Rafael